curl-users

Re: New cURL user

From: Blurry <obsfucate_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:10:52 -0400

You may understand this or not, but I'll try. As you well know, the
operations of a web browser can be very complicated. Most of this
complication is hidden from the average user. The reason curl seems so
complicated is that curl is pretending to be a web browser. There is a
command line switch for all these options that are often set in a
browser by default.

So let's say you wanted to simulate logging in to a online bank and
check your balance. In the process of doing that, you may hit 5
different servers and fill in webforms AND use https. You don't see
this detail in a browser. So if you wanted an unattended program to
'watch' your balance, you'd have to figure out how make curl do that.
It is NOT easy in many instances. Experts like Daniel can make curl do
about anything. I have given up on many attempts to get curl to do
what I want. Online banking, checking a cancelled check image was one.
I couldn't do it. I have internet explorer running on a PC using
keystroke simulation and screen capture. I do have curl doing
important things (making sure that users see what they are supposed
to), many of them easy.

I hope that helps you understand what curl can do. Ask not what curl
can do for you, ask what you can do for curl.............