curl-users

Re: Build Trouble: "OpenSSL libs and/or directories were not found where specified!"

From: Weston C <westonc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 20:05:00 -0700

Aleksandar Lazic <al-curlusers_at_none.at> wrote:

> Have you installed the devel package?
> rpm -qa|egrep ssl

That command yields:

  xmlsec1-openssl-1.2.6-3
  openssl-0.9.7a-43.17.el4_6.1

However -- I haven't attempted to install any version of openssl via
rpm -- I built 0.98a from source. It's possible I misconfigured
something there, but I've tried building it with both no options fed
to configure and with --prefix=/usr/local/ssl
--openssldir=/usr/local/openssl as suggested in the openssl INSTALL
file.

As far as a devel package goes... is there a separate make target /
packages for headers and such? I didn't gather that from the install
docs, but I may have missed something.

Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com> wrote:
>> here's what my invocation of configure now looks like:
>>
>> PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/ssl/lib/pkgconfig" \
>> CFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include" \
>> LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib" \
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/curl/ \
>> --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl/ \
>> --with-zlib
>
> Any one of those three methods ought to be enough to make it work, depending
> on the situation. In your case, it's probably picking up and using the
> pkg-config configuration file for your standard OpenSSL package and overriding
> the other methods. Try putting /usr/local/ssl/lib/pkgconfig at the
> beginning of the PKG_CONFIG_PATH instead of the end

That makes sense, but it doesn't seem to help, unfortunately.

> (are you sure that's the right directory, by the way?).

I'm not sure of very much at the moment. :) But it's there, it's
populated more or less like I'd expect, though I'll admit I don't
understand exactly what's supposed to be there.

> On Linux, this means making sure /usr/local/ssl/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf
> so that once curl is built, it can find your OpenSSL library when it
> runs.

Hmmm. The contents of /etc/ld.so.conf are:

  include ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

That's it. Nothing else. Bad sign?

Any suggestions?