curl-users

Re: curl: (28) FTP response timeout

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 21:54:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Chris Cross wrote:

> Can you tell me what this error is? I'm testing with a deliberately slow ftp
> server and see this with curl. If I use linux command line ftp, there is no
> time out of the client.

After an FTP transfer, curl expects to get a response back from the server.
Since so many people have problems with NATs or firewalls etc when you do long
transfers, curl then waits only a short while for that response code before it
decides it won't show up and it continues. It's not really a good fix, but as
far s I know there is no fine fix...