curl-users

Re: Error 550 with curl sftp download attempt

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 22:21:47 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011, Preston Allen wrote:

> In short, I am trying to download via ftp ssl protocol

Let me just make one thing straight: you mention 'sftp' in the subject, but
then ftp ssl in the body. SFTP is not the same protocol as FTPS (or "FTP
SSL")...

> However, I'm getting a 550 error. I think the server I am trying to connect
> to does not like the SIZE command to transfer the file?

It doesn't like SIZE on the file, but then it also doesn't like RETR on the
file as that too gets a 550 returned so you just can't access the file.

These two commands and their responses show this clearly:

>> SIZE /newdir/d100.b468199.x320
> < 550 Operation is not supported under Connect:Enterprise FTP server.
>> RETR /newdir/d100.b468199.x320
> < 550 *** ERROR *** NO BATCHES FOR TRANSMISSION

This said. curl doesn't access files like that by default these days. You're
using a severely outdated version that is many years old and we've fixed many
problems since then and improved curl in all aspects you can imagine (and even
some that you couldn't imagine).

> curl 7.15.3 (hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11) libcurl/7.15.3 OpenSSL/0.9.7i zlib/1.2.3

I'm not saying a newer version will make this work, as the "NO BATCHES FOR
TRANSMISSION" error message seems pretty final, but you'll become a happier
user if you upgrade to a modern curl version.