curl-users

Re: curl not completing transfer

From: Evan Cooch <evan.cooch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:18:44 -0330

On 1/16/2012 7:13 PM, Dan Fandrich wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:24:31PM -0330, Evan Cooch wrote:
>> Semi-newbie, so flame throwers to singe only. ;-)
>>
>> I'm using curl 7.15.5 (i686-redhat-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.15.5
>> OpenSSL/0.9.8b zlib/1.2.3 libidn/0.6.5 under CentOS 5.7, to transfer
> That's singe-worthy right there. That release is almost 6 years old.
> We've done 31 releases since then.

This is the version supported by Redhat, and CentOS (which is a
binary-level clone of RHEL). People (like me) use RH, or CentOS, for
stability. If you're saying that 7.15.5 is broken, then its broken for
RHEL 5.x (and clones), which I would find surprising, given RH's market
share on the 'corporate supported' side of GNU/Linux.

But, I digress.

>> a file a colleague develops, and has posted for HTTP access on his
>> website. I use the following to transfer the file only if the
>> time-stamp on the target machine is more recent than the current
>> version on my machine:
>>
>> /usr/bin/curl -v -Rso /home/username/setup.exe -z setup.exe
>> http://colleague machine URL/setup.exe
>>
>> By and large, this has worked fine, but for some reason now, curl is
>> not completing the transfer. It will transfer some fraction of the
>> file, and then quit. It quits gracefully (no obvious error message),
>> so I'm having a problem figuring out what to look for. I've already
>> got -v flagged for verbose information on the transfer, but that
>> doesn't give me any indications that have been useful. The fact that
>> curl is ending gracefully i actually a problem, since there is no
>> outward indication it has 'quit' -- exccept that the setup.exe file
>> is incomplete, and won't install.
>>
>> So,
>>
>> 1\ any suggestions as to what might be causing curl to stop
>> transferring? It does this intermittently, and the size/proportion fo
>> the file that does get transferred is variable (i.e., not always a
>> constant number of bytes).
> The first thing would be to try a newer version of curl and see if the
> problem still exists. If it's a curl problem, there's an excellent
> chance that it has already been fixed.ld

Again, short of compiling from source, not a simple due. The only
version of curl in the RHEL/CentOS repos is the one I'm using. I can
compile from source, but that is general discouraged since that
sometimes breaks things.

At any rate, I could I suppose, try that.

>> 2\ any extra flag(s) I can pass to curl to help me diagnose the problem?
> -v should tell you enough clues about where the problem may be. You didn't
> send us the log, so it's hard to speculate about it. You can also try
> doing the simplest curl transfer possible (curl URL> file) and see if
> that succeeds, or try another program to try to determine if it's a server
> bug of some sort.

Thanks -- its intermittent. I run it as a cron process (3 times a day),
so I'll set it up to keep the logs, and see if there is anything there.