curl-users

Re: Metalink support patch for curl

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:40:15 +0200

Tatsuhiro Tsujikawa <tatsuhiro.t_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Without file:// support (most curl installation enables this ?), local metalink
> file is not supported. In this case, I agree that old way is better...

There's no way for us to know how curl is built and deployed in the
wild. For Linux and BSD distros some data could be researched if it is
of vital importance, but for Windows builds the matter gets even much
more in unknown territory.

> But I think most casual users does metalink download using remote URIs
> such as http or https. Reading local metalink file useful for
> debugging to web site maintainers.

Metalink files sent via e-mail might also be something to take in account.

> Therefore I think disabling local metalink processing without file://
> will not hurt much.

I have no strong point in either direction, just mentioning the issue
to make sure we all are fully aware of it

--
-=[Yang]=-