curl-and-php

cURL HTTP POST problem

From: Philip Wasson <pwasson_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 20:35:21 -0700

I am a CURL newbe and I am frustrated because I can't get HTTP POST to work using cURL. I used an HTTP monitor (NAVISCOPE) to watch the manual POST transaction using Internet Explorer to see exactly what was POSTed. The form is at:

http://lapublichealth.org/rating/

Here are the results:

POST http://lapublichealth.org/rating/ratesearchaction.cfm HTTP/1.0
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/pdf, application/msword, application/vnd.ms-excel, */*
Referer: http://lapublichealth.org/rating/
Pragma: no-cache

dba=&address=&city=&zipcode=&score=100&sort=dba&B1=Submit

The last line is the actual post field. I actually cut and pasted that line (to avoid typing mistakes) into CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS as follows:

curl_init();

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL,"http://lapublichealth.org/rating/ratesearchaction.cfm");
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FAILONERROR, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 3); //times out after 4s
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER,1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, 1);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, "dba=&address=&city=&zipcode=&score=100&sort=dba&B1=Submit");

$result=curl_exec ($ch);
curl_close ($ch);

echo "result=".$result;
?>

This code produces no result:

result=''

I would appreciate any ideas you might have!

Phil