curl-and-php

logging in with Curl and passing off to a browser?

From: JJ DeBarros <jjd_at_ibqsystems.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:24:23 -0800

Hi,

I'd like to get some comments and feedback on a task that I am looking
to undertake.

I have a client/server architecture, where an application connects to a
server, which then logs onto a web site (via php and curl) and extracts
some account information.

This all works great, and curl is the perfect library for this type of
application.

The new task that is being looked at is:
- Could the server go through the whole login process
- Pass the resulting URL back to the application
- Have the application launch the browser to open up the URL
- At this point the user is logged in with a browser opened up at the
pertinent page

The challenge is that cookies are exchanged back and forth and the whole
session was started on a different host.

Is there anyway that another host (browser) can take up where another
left off, with the cookies from the first host?

 From what I've been able to find out about cookies is that this would
not be possible as it would violate a bunch of security...

Thanks for any input!

--JJ--