curl-and-php

Re: cURL very slow to fetch internal page

From: Michael Shuler <michael_at_unixtx.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 09:14:41 -0600

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 lobos_at_webvida.com wrote:
>
>> Now sometimes the page loads fast (1-2 seconds) and other times it
>> loads slow (8-10 seconds)
>
> I would suspect the name resolving.

Just for fun, I took a look at the various DNS configs. Looks like
there are some problems with the zone for crucialdns.com:

Forward query:

michael_at_gaea 06:47:49 ~ $ host stopkillingchildren.com
stopkillingchildren.com has address 67.19.118.162

Reverse:

michael_at_gaea 08:50:55 ~ $ host 67.19.118.162
162.118.19.67.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer server5.crucialdns.com.

Hmm. Big hang here, then failure:

michael_at_gaea 08:51:18 ~ $ host crucialdns.com

Yep, lame servers:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=crucialdns.com

Since stopkillingchildren.com is using:

    Domain servers in listed order:
       NS13.CRUCIALDNS.COM
       NS14.CRUCIALDNS.COM

this could very well be your problem - their own top level domain does
not have a proper zone configuration, which can cause all kinds of DNS
problems down the line, for finding the authoritative nameservers, as
well as anyone using their nameservers. Time to talk to your DNS
provider and have then scrutinize their records ;)

Kind Regards,
Michael Shuler