curl-and-php

Re: help me explain PHP/CURL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:45:22 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Michael Wallner wrote:

> Uhm... I think that http://php.net/curl is quite elaborative, but I may be
> biased :)

Sorry, but I don't think that page is good enough for many simple users.

For example, it doesn't mention many bits about how you proceed to get
PHP/CURL installed on windows (or using a binary package). IIRC, there are
binaries provided for windows and you can somehow activate PHP/CURL in that
without having to learn configure options...

> Though, one reason might be that you host a php-curl mailing list...

Yes, but more I believe it is more importantly that I host and maintain the
'curl web site' and the PHP binding is tirelessly referred to as CURL (as
opposed to a more special name such as PHP/CURL) in PHP land so very many PHP
users immediately get trouble trying to figure this out.

I need to work on making that separation clearer on the web site.

> Seriously, Daniel, I don't think that lack of docs is the issue but the high
> popularity of PHP and libcurl and ever growing base of "new users" without
> any clue.

True, one should never under-estimate what lack of clues can do! ;-)