curl-and-php

Re: Problem url

From: Kevin Carothers <kevindotcar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 12:09:58 -0800

Hi-

I think this basiclly means that host "tomdattorney.com" is only accepting
"HTTP" services (hence "www.tomdattorney.com" is answered by ping) and that
a default service is not defined.

Usually, a domain will be defined to have "www." (ie, 'web') as the default
service, but it is not guaranteed.

PS- I tried pinging "ftp.tomdattorney.com" and it wasn't pinging, either...
as I imagine "gopher" and others (like "smtp.tomdattorney.net") won't be,
either.

If this is a problem for you, you have to call the ISP (qwest) and have them
re-configure the domain name on their DNS (authns1.mpls.qwest.net)

PS-
(have your credit card handy :-)

Disclaimers: Hope this is correct- It's only a sketch of my personal
understanding.

KC