curl-and-php

Re: Can cURL be used to post massaged form data and land the user on an external partner page?

From: Kevin Carothers <kevindotcar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:09:00 -0700

Hi Colin,

I'll make a stab at it (caveat: I use Curl from command-lines (called from
Perl) so it's a completely different environment, but I think the usage
principles are the same.)

I had (what I think was) the same problem, and the way I got thru it was to
write the STDERR contents to an external file - Ie, The CURL output that
looks like this;

* About to connect() to conf1.centra.com port 80
* Connected to conf1.externalsite.com (222.244.222.111) port 80
> POST /SiteRoots/main/index.jhtml?sessionid=113886078395524168 HTTP/1.1
zlib/1.2.1
Host: conf1.extsite.com
Pragma: no-cache
Accept: */*
Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDQQCDQASQ=ABEDOPA;
[---]
 Pragma: no-cache
< Location:
http://conf1.externalsite.com/SiteRoots/main/User/Homepage.jhtml?this=that&sessionid=1199980
< Expires: -1
[---]

I then parse the location reference and follow the session path (and of
course setting up the username and password params in the "-d" section of
the CORL call.)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe the actual 'landing' of the user onto a web
page is pretty much up to the web server you're attempting to hit. Some
web programmers will leave the HTTP-redirect to the browser, and some will
attempt it via the server- because some user's don't have their browser set
to automatically re-direct.

I don't think SSL is actually the issue because CURL seems (in the years
I've used it) to be pretty good at negotiating secure site (if you have the
version compiled for SSL).

Hope this helps-

KC