curl-and-php

begginers pleas:

From: Harry Van Ness <h.a.vanness_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:45:45 +1000

HELP! I have been trying to set up a proxy, using some code I scabbed of
the web, but it says that I havn't compiled cURL into PHP. Does this
mean that I have to compile the whole thing from scratch, or do I just
need to adjust a few settings? I have WAMP5, and in the php.ini file,
the ";" has been removed from the cURL module. I have tried taking out the
if (!function_exists('curl_init')){
    die('You Do not have cURL compiled into PHP'
        .'This script requires cURL<br />'
        .'<a href="http://php.net/manual/en/ref.curl.php">Click Here For
More Info</a>'
    );
   }
and the problem remains, so I guess it really doesn't recognise cURL. I
have been working at this for a while, but I'm really only a begginer in
PHP, so any help would be great.
        thanx..