curl-and-php

RE: Error code 58: unable to set private key file?

From: Dan Brown <danb_at_zu.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 08:53:22 -0600

On Thurs, Jan 8 2009, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2009, Dan Brown wrote:
>
> > curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSLCERT, getcwd() .'/site-dev.crt');
> >
> > I do realize of course it is asking for a private key, so is there a way
> > get it to use the public key instead?
>
> No. When you use a client certificate, you always also provide a
> private key (and the associated passphrase for it). There's no escape from
that.

Well that is what I had thought as well. I am dealing with a third party
which requires HTTPS with client authentication. I provided my public key,
as well as a PKCS12 digital id generated from the private and public keys
since the public key itself wont import into a browser or any other app
whereas a PKCS12 will. They provided us with only public keys. I am
guessing they have their end setup something like what is described here:

Maybe I should simply be connecting and posting their public certificate
immediately as a part of the headers?

Eg.
Client Certificate
--------BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----------
--------END CERTIFICATE-----------

When I attempt a connection (using curl from the command line or openssl) I
usually get a response like:

verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate
verify return:1
verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted
verify return:1
verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate
verify return:1
te8949:error:14094412:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad
certificate:s3_pkt.c:1052:SSL alert number 42
8949:error:1409E0E5:SSL routines:SSL3_WRITE_BYTES:ssl handshake
failure:s3_pkt.c:529:

Which tells me it's either not liking their client certificate I present, or
is not getting the certificate at all.

Dan Brown
zu.com communications
Design - Development - Programming
324 Duchess Street Saskatoon, SK S7K 0R1
tel.1.306.653.4747 fax.1.306.653.4774
http://www.zu.com

zu.com - now on your mobile device!