curl-and-php

Re: Issues with cURL + Apache-2.2.10 in chroot is not working

From: hanji <hanji_at_uno-code.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:45:41 -0700

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 14:17:43 -0700
hanji <hanji_at_uno-code.com> wrote:

> Hello All
>
> I'm running into a interesting problem with cURL and apache-2.2.10.
> With Apache-2.2.10, they've including chroot as a core feature, so the
> need to use mod_security or mod_chroot is no longer needed, in fact,
> using mod_chroot will not work in apache-2.2.10.
>
> Prior to this upgrade, I was using apache-2.2.9-r1 and mod_chroot-0.5,
> and cURl has been working great in this environment for a few years.
> After ditching mod_chroot and upgrading to apache-2.2.10, cURL does not
> function properly in the jail. The jail environment (including libs,
> etc) is the same as what was used in mod_chroot.
>
> What happens is that curl_exec() returns a empty value. No errors are
> reported in error_log or in php logs of any type. Removing the chroot
> directive from httpd.conf and restarting, cURL behaves as expected.
> It's definitely related to the jail.
>
> I ran strace on the process, but couldn't find any *obvious* errors. I
> did see apache loading libcurl though without complaints.
>
> 13860 open("/usr/lib/libcurl.so.4", O_RDONLY) = 5
> 13860 open("/usr/lib/libcurl.so.4", O_RDONLY) = 7
>
> I'm hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right
> direction to sniff this problem out. I'd also like to mention that the
> URL used is not a HTTPS url. I wanted to eliminate other potential
> problems during this debug phase. So the URL is straight HTTP.
>
> I'm using cURL-7.18.2
>
> Thanks in advance!
> hanji

Hello

I was wondering if anyone had a chance to look over this email. I'd
love some input on how to fix this. If you need any more information
from me, please let me know and I'd be happy to provide additional
configurations, strace outputs, etc.

I'm forced to run apache out of chroot while I sort this out.

Thanks much!
hanji