curl-and-php

Php cURL Security

From: Charbel Zeaiter <shadow_meld_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 16:20:59 +1100

Hi

I need help.
I have been looking all over the Internet and
 posting questions in forums, but so far i have just been confused and
lost due to conflicting posts and poor documentation.

I am using
cURL as a php extension in order to post sensitive data to a server. My
question is, how secure is this, can anyone intercept, read or change
the data in transmission?

On some posts people have told me to use https, but i have no idea how
to do this or where to start. I realize i might need to use SSL
certificates but i am unsure of many things,

is it as simple as posting the data to a HTTPs URL "https://www.....", or using the curl set options:

curl_setopt - CURLOPT_SSLCERT
OR
curl_setopt - CURLOPT_SSLCERTPASSWD
?

so far my request consists of :

    $ch = curl_init();
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, "URL");
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER, FALSE);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYHOST, FALSE);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, false);

    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POST, TRUE);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, $String);
    curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, TRUE);

Any advice will be greatly appreciated . thank you .