curl-and-php

Re: Problems with curl timeout setting

From: <127546_at_sms13.de>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 03:20:39 +0100

Hello Daniel,

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011, 127546_at_sms13.de wrote:

>> timeout is set at 2000ms, php returns the following
>>
>> $inf['total_time']=1.97
>> $inf['connect_time']=0.04
>> $inf['namelookup_time']=0.00
>>
>> Operation timed out after 2974 milliseconds with 0 out of -1 bytes received|
>>
>> which is close to 3s, why is that?

> You've reached the end of my road here. If you can repeat that in a C program
> using libcurl, or the curl command line tool, then I'd be interested in
> looking into it. I'm not a PHP guy and I don't want to debug libcurl through
> it.

> It is also relevant what resolver you're using, as if you use the stock *nix
> resolver, it has a full-second resolution in the time-outs.

By resolver do you mean dns? I believe I do not use any resolver because we connect only using IP?

Also we think that we found something relevant. We think that the servers we connect to which cause
these timeout problems are not the real well known http servers like apache or nginx. We are pretty
sure that the server is some self written perl code. Is this possible that this server does not
return some important headers which causes this timeout problems? For example, we connect to server
on port 80 and it does not return anything, (no content whatsoever for 5 seconds, including no
headers), can this affect timeouts working?? We think it can, we will try to test it

--
Best regards,
 127546                            mailto:127546_at_sms13.de