curl-and-php

Re: Problems with curl timeout setting

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 00:09:46 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, 127546_at_sms13.de wrote:

> I did some more research here, first of all I cannot reproduce my problem on
> command line because command line does not support milliseconds, and it
> seems the issue arises only when you specify milliseconds!!!

I don't believe you. I'm convinced the reason is something else.

> when we changed CURL options in php into seconds the issue does not arise!!
> The bug is clearly in the millisecond settings but we need milliseconds.

There's only one place in the libcurl code that differs between seconds and
milliseconds, and that is the code that receives the options. If you set
seconds, the code will multiply the number with 1000 and store that internally
as milliseconds. Everything internally is done using the single timeout value
that is counted in milliseconds.

> I can see many people on google complaining abotu this option not working
> correctly.

You can find anything searching with Google. That's not an argument that means
anything.

And even if others have had similar or even the exact same problem, that's not
helping here either.

> I am desperate here as you see, I am willing to pay for someone to fix this
> for me!!

I'm willing to work on fixing the bug for free, but I'm not going to run any
PHP and I doubt you need PHP to get it. I'd urge you to write up a C program
that uses libcurl and that shows the problem happening.

> "CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT does not really work for the multi interface in any
> released libcurl version. We're working on making sure it works correctly
> for the next release."

The key words there being "in any released libcurl version" and then you
should check the date I wrote that and compare with release dates and you'll
see that the statement is no longer true. (Which is kind of related to my
comment that you can find everything.)

But this made me curious. Are you saying you're using the multi interface?

> as I stated earlier I am willing to pay to get this fixed

I don't have time or opportunity to take on any new projects at the moment so
that someone you can pay will not be me.