curl-and-php

Re: SMTP with TSL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:49:29 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011, Eric & Sherrell wrote:

> 1.  PHP curl with telnet and tsl can't connect.  Anyone know how to do this?

Telnet? How is that related to SMTP here? There's no telnet with TLS...

> 2.  There seems to be no SMTP support with the php libraries.  However I saw
> this example for libcurl:  http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/smtp-tls.html
> Does this mean it might be coming?

It has been present in libcurl since February 2010. I think you need to step
forward and help your fellow PHP users get access to this functionalty by
extending the PHP/CURL extension.

> Using curl with an https connection I was able to find a hack that allowed
> me to send out simple SMTP messages by putting the entire smtp command
> strings and message into the customrequest field setting when connecting to
> the server.

Clever! But still just a hack...

> If you have any more stable ideas or solutions, I would love to hear them.

Adding support to PHP/CURL for the small set of new options that SMTP needs
should be REALLY easy.