curl-and-python

Re: Resolve host problem with proxy and SSL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:52:40 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, SamG wrote:

> the problem must come from one on these libraries

That's a rather naive conclusion. For example, when you build libcurl to use
these libraries, lost of different code in libcurl is used than when you don't
use them so the problems could just as well be in libcurl.

> and c-ares and libidn are good candidates for that (IMHO). Perhaps that the
> fact to link with c-ares has an undesirable effect on libcurl.

I doubt that c-ares has this described effect, as then no one would be able to
use libcurl built with c-ares. If you check http://curl.haxx.se/auto/, you can
see numerous daily tests with libcurl built with c-ares that work exactly the
same as libcurl without it.

This indicates that your problem is trickier to find that simply ruling out a
whole lib as defective.

>> So the c-ares version NEVER works then?
>
> With the SSL-version of pycurl and when i use a proxy, that always fails
> whether the site is on Intranet or Internet.

When using numerical-only addresses too?

Besides, the *exact* same name resolving is done when doing requests without
proxy so if you can get stuff without proxy we can be fairly sure that the
problem is not in c-ares.