curl-and-python

Building curl/pycurl from source for Python 2.6--sorting out dependencies

From: James Webber <jamestwebber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 18:00:27 -0500

I'm working on a project that has been happily working with Pycurl and
Python 2.5 (and a bunch of other stuff) on Windows. Yesterday I noticed that
a major dependency had finally updated to 2.6, and I started to look into
migrating.

Imagine my surprise when I find that there are no Pycurl Windows installers
for 2.6--it appears that installers simply haven't been made in about a
year. There are multiple emails in this mailing list inquiring about a 2.6
installer, but they are all unanswered.

But, there's still activity in here from developers, so I'm hoping that the
project hasn't simply been abandoned.

I tried to build libcurl from source, but I'm having trouble finding a solid
description of what I need to do there. I have Visual Studio 2005, but it
seems that I can't build a compatible DLL that way--it builds and makes a
lib, but then I try to do setup.py install, and Python complains that *it*
was built with 2003, so they can't work together. I'm no VS guru, though, so
maybe I'm just missing something there (I don't know if there's a
compatibility option I can change).

I found a reference to guy pulling it off with Visual Express 2008, but he's
light on details and I figured I'd just ask here first.

I'd prefer to not need to build from source, anyway, because it would be a
hassle for other developers (I didn't actually have VS installed until I
tried this).

So my question is two-part: is there any plan to make a pycurl installer for
Windows + Python 2.6? And, if not, does anyone have pointers on building
pycurl for that setup?

cheers,
- James