curl-and-python

Re: PycURL status

From: André Cruz <andre.cruz_at_co.sapo.pt>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 18:42:04 +0100

On Jul 31, 2012, at 6:30 PM, Dima Tisnek <dimaqq_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> curlmulti is not clean in pycurl, you can make dangling references and
> crashes from python.

As I need gevent, I need to use Curl with an external event loop. For this, I would need curlmulti...

> if you want hard timeouts, you need c-ares, then if you run on any
> unix and you have very long-running processes, you need patched
> c-ares, otherwise curl won't get new dns server when you move to a new
> network or network switch is changed.

Where can I find this patched c-ares? Gevent already makes use of c-ares so maybe I would not have problems there.

> All in all, if you only need http/https, nowadays you can get by with
> python alone.

Thanks. I already use urllib/requests extensively, but I recall from my C days that libcurl was much more configurable. That's why I wanted to give it a try.

Best regards,
André