curl-and-python

pycurl initialized secure memory issue

From: Matt Schartman <mschartman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 15:15:21 -0800

Hello,

I'm trying to adapt a large python application to work in an embedded ARM
environment. One issue I am running into is that when I perform a request
with pycurl, I get the following error message:

Ohhhh jeeee: operation is not possible without initialized secure memory

However, when I do the equivalent using the command line curl tool, it has
no issues. I believe this is a code call ordering issue. It seems I am
trying to use the secure memory pool before it is initialized. I found
slightly more information about the root of the cause here:
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gcrypt-devel/2008-December/001420.html

I tried adding 'pycurl.global_init(pycurl.GLOBAL_SSL)' to the code, but it
didn't help. Could the command line curl be doing some critical
initialization that pycurl is not? Does anyone have a suggested work-around
other than reimplementing with a different tool?

Thanks,
Matt