persistant behaviour

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:40:35 +0100 (MET)

Thanks for your excellent feedback. It gave me handfull of thoughts to
consider.

Basically, all three mails I received in this matter so far have expressed
ideas in the same direction. An approach I didn't suggest and didn't even
think about! :-O

Ok, so basically it would allow the exact same interface as today, perhaps
with an added option that switches on this new behaviour.

 curl_easy_perform() would
 - not disconnect from the server when one file has been transfered, it
   leaves the connection "open" for further use
 - re-use an earlier opened connection if one exist to the server we are
   about to transfer a document to/from, the re-usage would deal with the
   fact that the connection might have timed out or similar
 - open more connections and keeep the old one(s) open if the new document
   needs a new connection
 - have a maximum amount of simultaneously opened connections and close the
   oldest when that amount is reached

We would have to introduce a new function that would close specific
connections, or all opened connections.

Does this match your ways of thinking?