My take on the license issues with base64.c

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 16:00:58 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi friends!

The license confusion in lib/base64.c was of course more or less
unintentional. It got in there because it turned out that we had _two_ base64
implementations, and I just grabbed the one that the kerberos-stuff used as I
am least aquinted with how that works and thus less eager to touch that code.

Anyway, I replaced the existing code with Andrew Francis' version, edited to
work(*). Many thanks for this!

You can view the currently provided/edited version here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/curl/curl/lib/base64.c?rev=1.8&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

I do appriciate feedback on this.

A few clarifications seems appropriate here:

 o As Bjorn Reese already explained, no one ever has to add anything to their
   documentation or code when using code licensed under MIT/X. It merely says
   you can do whatever you want, just keep the copyright texts in the source
   files.

 o The situation only affects projects that are using libcurl and license
   their products under the GPL license (and similar).

 o Andrew wrote "as it's copyright by me, not Daniel, people distributing
   curl with this base64 code would have to acknowledge both Daniel and me in
   the documentation!".

   This is not true. The MIT/X license doesn't require anyone to aknowledge
   any of the copyright owners anywhere but in the source files. Having you
   or me (or both as now) as copyright holders in the source file is not a
   problem.

 o No one using libcurl is obligated to credit me or anyone else in their
   documentation. Of course we appriciate if it is done, but nothing forces
   them to do it.

(*) It failed doing so on a two points:
 1 - I had to edit it to compile with a C compiler (C++ code removed).
 2 - Using Andrew's code makes test case 3 (and more) fail due to a badly
     constructed base64 sequence (input string "fake:-user" without quotes):

     Original curl code output:
        Authorization: Basic ZmFrZTotdXNlcg==

     Andrew's code output:
        Authorization: Basic ZmFrZTotdXNlcgAA==

     I fixed this by re-adding my original encoder, found in lib/base64.c 1.4

 3 - I edited the source header. Is this okay with you Andrew?

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/