[Fwd: exception in ConnectPlease]

From: T. Bharath <TBharath_at_responsenetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 06:12:02 -0400

attached mail follows:

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, T. Bharath wrote:

> I was trying out with curl7.9.1pre4.When i was trying to download a page
> an exception was thrown at ConnectPlease in
> memcpy((char *)&(conn->serv_addr.sin_addr),
> (struct in_addr *)addr, sizeof(struct in_addr));
> because addr was null

Uh. That's not good.

> My network connection went down at that time.Iam not sure if that may
> have triggered it. I was reusing the handle for multiple downloads Iam
> still investigating that,I thought may be you could throw some light on
> it

Hm, well that particular code should not run if a connection is being
re-used, a new connection is only mad if a previous connection couldn't be
used.

'addr' could only be NULL there if Curl_connecthost() returns CURLE_OK and
failed to set the addr parameter to a good pointer.

I can only see this being possible to happen if the for()-loop on line 481 in
my version never runs a single lap, because the remotehost->h_addr_list[0] is
NULL and then it all runs through with no errors and *addr set to that
pointer in the end.

Do you think that could be what happened? We should add some kind of check
that such a scenario doesn't happen again.

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77