Re: libcurl tests for the test suite

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:49:32 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, Sanjeev wrote:

> But i still have a nagging feeling that, if there is a need for the user,
> we can provide him with a struct full of available form fields in the
> retrieved page, within which, he can ...

Of course we can. You're free to write such a program and offer it to the
world. I already kind of did with my formfind script.

> May be we can also automate to fill the unfilled ones by user, from that
> struct to carry some rubbish so that the submission goes off smoothly
> without returning the page back! this includes the *MUST* fields! even
> though we cant judge which is a *MUST* field, we can always fill in all the
> fields (which includes MUST fields) with something!

Sure.

> Of course, we cant do anything for if a particular field only needs
> particular type of data, like phone number field only wanted digits. But
> for this the developer has to foresee this.

No, the developer cannot forsee this, it will be totally up to the receiving
server to judge if the input is correct or not. You may never get to know.

> We might not be providing everything for the user which is not feasible,
> though, as you say "cURL is not a magic wand!" But may be we can give him
> an extra option.

curl currently does *no* HTML parsing and has no understand at all of the
contents today. To force me to all of sudden take the leap over that river is
gonna take a really good reason.

Also, if your code *were* to be included, it would not be included in the
library anyway but in the curl tool... And I'll be fair, if you get a
reasonable amount of curl users saying they want your code in the tool, I'll
include it.

> I could once again make up with the test100 error.

> MD: perl -I. ./ftpserver.pl 8921 &
> test 100...[FTP dir list PASV]
> ../src/curl --output log/curl100.out --include -v
> ftp://127.0.0.1:8921/ >log/stdout100 2>log/stderr100
> curl returned 7, 0 was expected
> error FAILED
>
> - abort tests
> 0 tests out of 1 reported OK: 0%
> These test cases failed: 100

> If this is not enough for getting into roots of this problem, please say me
> what else should i do!

It is not enough. Return code 7 means "Failed to connect to host" and I don't
understand why it fails when this runs. It might be related to the fact that
this is the first test case that uses the FTP server, so it is started up
just before curl is invoked...

> ( Hoping that this is your last working day of this year )

Fear not. I'll be very quiet soon! ;-)