Re: a curl_multi_fdset() replacement? (TODO-RELEASE #55)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:10:33 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005, Jamie Lokier wrote:

Thanks for your patience and explanations.

> Imagine what happens when you have 10000 open file descriptors (extreme to
> illustrate) and after each call to select() or poll(), only 20 descriptors
> are ready for reading.
>
> select() or poll() will scan 10000 descriptors, find the 20 ready ones, and
> return the 20.

I think I understand what you're saying and I can fully grasp that 10000
descriptors will take a good while to scan through. I just don't understand
what the proper API solution for libcurl is.

If we have 10000 active download connections (having added 10000 easy handles
to a single multi handle), then we can in fact get traffic on one or more of
all those connections. I don't see how libcurl can do anything but to return
the 10000 descriptors to the app saying "here, wait for this action on one or
more of these".