DEBUGFUNCTION provides little info for invalid urls and exceeded timeouts

From: David Pautler <david_s_pautler_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:50:42 -0700 (PDT)

I'm using the C binding of libcurl 7.12.1 in a
webserver environment to upload to another server, and
compiled it with c-ares 1.2.0 to avoid possible
problems when multithreading (in Solaris).

I've since noticed that server instances are stopping,
and no cores are generated (perhaps using c-ares
prevents them from being created..although I'm not at
all sure that libcurl is even involved in the
stoppage).

My strategy for dealing with this so far is to try to
find a way to replicate the problem, and then see if
compiling without c-ares will result in a useful core
file. As part of trying to replicate the problem,
I've added a DEBUGFUNCTION that is virtually identical
to the one here:

   http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2003-06/0021.html

Surprisingly, I've found that using either an invalid
url or a too-small timeout results in very little info
from DEBUGFUNCTION: "INFO: Closing connection #0".

Can the code in the link above be augmented to provide
more information?

And incidentally, if anyone has a suggestion about
server instances dying from libcurl use (I'm not sure
that libcurl is at fault, though) and the lack of core
files, please pass that along.

     -dp-