oddities in configuration process

From: Robert P. J. Day <rpjday_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 09:05:41 -0400 (EDT)

  leaving cross-compile issues aside, it seems like there are some
puzzling inconsistencies in the configuration process for curl. what
i'm trying to do, just as a test for now, is configure and build
curl/libcurl with the minimal features that supports FTP/SSL, and
that's it. (this is for an embedded system, so i'm trying to make the
result as small as possible, and use as few shared libs as i can.)

  as a first attempt, i did the following:

./configure \
        --disable-gopher \
        --disable-ldap \
        --disable-dict \
        --disable-telnet \
        --disable-manual \
        --disable-ipv6 \
        --disable-ares \
        --disable-verbose \
        --disable-sspi \
        --disable-debug \
        --disable-cookies \
        --disable-static \
        --with-ssl \
        --without-gnutls \
        --without-libidn

the configuration worked fine, with some of the final output:

  SSL support: enabled (OpenSSL)
  zlib support: enabled
  krb4 support: no (--with-krb4*)
  GSSAPI support: no (--with-gssapi)
  SPNEGO support: no (--with-spnego)
  c-ares support: no (--enable-ares)
  ipv6 support: no (--enable-ipv6)
  IDN support: no (--with-libidn)

and the subsequent "make" worked. now, i would have interpreted the
above to mean that, say, i had no krb4 support, so i should certainly
be able to add "--without-krb4" to my configure step, right? (yes,
it's redundant, but i'm just being pedantic.)

  if i do this, the configure step completes but, partway through, you
can read:

checking if argv can be written to... yes
checking if Kerberos4 support is requested... yes
checking where to look for Kerberos4... libs in no/lib, headers in no/include

huh? i specifically said i *didn't* want krb4 support, so what does
this mean? in addition, even though the configuration completes, the
make eventually fails with:

../libtool: line 1654: cd: no/lib: No such file or directory
libtool: link: cannot determine absolute directory name of `no/lib'
make[2]: *** [libcurl.la] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/rpjday/SW/curl/curl-7.14.0/lib'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rpjday/SW/curl/curl-7.14.0/lib'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

which seems to match up with the kerberos4 weirdness. should i have
expected this?

  as another example, if i start with my original working
configuration and add "--without-gssapi", then i don't get SSL
support:

checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto... no
checking for CRYPTO_add_lock in -lcrypto... no
./configure: line 26222: no/bin/libgnutls-config: No such file or
directory
./configure: line 26223: no/bin/libgnutls-config: No such file or
directory
configure: WARNING: SSL disabled, you will not be able to use HTTPS,
FTPS, NTLM and more.
configure: WARNING: Use --with-ssl or --with-gnutls to address this.

  but i *have* "--with-ssl" in my configuration step and the original
configuration assured me that i wasn't getting gssapi support anyway.

  can anyone explain what's going on here, and why the configuration
process is so confusing and inconsistent?

rday