Linking to libcurl from a MSVC 6 Win32 console project

From: Madhurya Gupta <inform.maddy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:28:44 -0600

Using the pure binary libcurl package from here
http://curl.haxx.se/download/libcurl-7.15.4-win32-ssl-sspi.zip

In lib directory of that package, I find the following four files
libcurl.a
libcurl.dll.a
libcurl.la
libcurl-3.dll

My MSVC project has proper references to the header files.

When I try to link it to libcurl.a (after selecting "Use MFC in a static
library" in project settings), I keep getting the errors
unresolved external symbol __imp__curl_easy_cleanup
unresolved external symbol __imp__curl_easy_perform
unresolved external symbol __imp__curl_easy_setopt
unresolved external symbol __imp__curl_easy_init

I checked the faq http://curl.haxx.se/docs/faq.html#5.7 and couldn't figure
out which correct lib am I supposed to link my program to. Also, couldn't
figure out where do I need to add -DCURL_STATICLIB as mentioned in the faq.

I also tried copying libcurl-3.dll in %\windows\system folder and compiling
the project with "Use MFC in a shared DLL", but in vain.

TIA

--
cURLMaddy