Re: ftp password and user-agent changes

From: Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:04:55 -0600

> so we have the two conflicting interests: changing
> existing apps' behaviours vs making existing apps
> behave nicer protocol-wise.

Is this really libcurl's job, or does the real responsibility
for providing this string rest with the application? After all,
libcurl is the "library" not the actual "user-agent"

But I see your point, it's always good to follow the RFC.

If you do decide to set a default string, I would say it should
provide as little information as possible, maybe just "libcurl"
and the version number, instead of revealing other things like
a potentially vulnerable zlib version etc.

> > to pre-define some commonly used strings
> > somewhere in the libcurl headers,

> While certainly very easy to add, does anyone really want them?

I think it would be handy, it seems like every time I need one
of these I end up digging through a server log or googling for
it, or trying to remember which text file I saved it in. It might
be convenient to have a few built-in options on hand to try out.

As far as the other constants I just think it would be easier
to remember what this does:

  curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_USERAGENT, CURL_UA_NONE);

instead of having to check the docs to remember how an empty
string behaves, as opposed to NULL.

 - Jeff