Re: Build using CMake

From: Pierre Joye <pierre.php_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:51:23 +0200

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM, Piotr Dobrogost <pd_at_curlpp.org> wrote:
> Pierre Joye wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> FYI, cmake supports MingW build tools suite.
>
> Ok. We don't want to use both CMake and MinGW, however. We would like to
> use only one of them or to be more precise either CMake or minGW+auto*
> tools. At least that's my impression. Does someone disagree?

I think you are confused. Mingw is first a port of the gcc compiler to
windows. You have then a set of known linux tools available to ease
the port of linux application to windows. A configure script (and its
respective makefile.in/am) can be written to work smoothly on mingw
and then be portable between unix and mingw.

CMake's mingw support is just like any other supported build tools,
you select mingw as target and the necessary files will be generated.

To avoid another possible problem, mingw is by no mean an alternative
to CMake, nmake's makefiles or VC++ project files. Mingw binaries
(besides behing horribly slow) are only compatible with VC6
(simplified description).

Cheers,

--
Pierre