Re: IMAP, POP3, SMTP and their TLS siblings

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 10:50:17 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009, Marco Maggi wrote:

> While you decide the scheduling for this, would you (plural) be interested
> in a review of the documentation and its format? I am an advocate of
> Texinfo.[1]

This discussion is similar to the suggestions of switching from autotools for
the build. I've not yet seen anyone suggest a complete way to a format that is
easier to maintain and that offers the same outputs we have today: man pages
(roff), html pages and PDF pages. And of course should be possible to run on
most platforms people build curl on. There is a set of scripts and stuff setup
for the current environment and I am the primary editor and I have no problems
at all with nroff as source format... I would need to see a clear benefit with
a switch.

A switch to another doc source format would also of course include some kind
of converter.

>> SMTP is for sending data to a server, and unfortunately SMTP doesn't have a
>> defined URL syntax so I'm still a bit undecided on how it'll work exactly.
>
> I would keep it very very simple as a start and wait for people to try it.

Oh indeed. I will provide a first basic functionality that can upload data to
a server (RFC2821 style), and if more people like this and have further ideas
of what libcurl should do or how it should behave everyone is free to get
involved. Pretty much in the same manner we go about with all the protocols
and stuff in our project.

> should it compete with MSMTP?[2]

First libcurl is a library so it won't compete one on one with an application
and curl the tool is more of a generic URL handler tool and won't be able to
compete with a dedicated SMTP client. But sure, if people want a library that
does SMTP for "real" then I figure libcurl can indeed become such a one.