Re: Building Curl from Source for Android (ARM-EABI) as JNI library

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 23:25:09 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009, Mark Scheel wrote:

>> checking for arm-linux-ar... no
>> checking for ar... /usr/bin/ar> configure: WARNING: using cross tools
>> not prefixed with host triplet

This is suspicious. You're cross-compiling for an ARM target and your native
'ar' is most probably not the suitable one.

>> checking build system type... config.sub: missing argument

I think this is a result of no (proper) --target specified. I think
--target=arm-android-eabi can be used.

> But I fixed that error at some point, and then saw that configure was taking
> the x86/Ubuntu availability of things like stropts.h and assuming it was
> available for the cross compile to ARM.

That too is a sign of configure not getting things right. If you give the
correct target, it should find the correct compiler and with the correct
compiler it should find the correct headers...

> I got libCurl into a NDK project for Android with success!

Cool!

> In summary, it is posible to use libCurl on Android if you are persistent. I
> will start from scratch and document my steps. I will share what works, and
> if I can reproduce the bad steps, what didn't work. It might take me as
> long as a week to do so.

Great. I'm sure there are several people who will appreciate your efforts!