Re: problem from out of the blue: can't connect via libcurl

From: Pete Wilson <pete142_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 03:56:03 -0800 (PST)

--- On Wed, 12/9/09, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Dec 2009, Pete Wilson wrote:
>
> >  curl 7.15.5 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
> libcurl/7.15.5 OpenSSL/0.9.8b zlib/1.2.3 libidn/0.6.5
> >
> > The curl program runs perfectly.
>
> Have you verified that they (curl and your tool) use the
> same libcurl? I mean with ldd etc to see that they actually
> refer to the same file.

ldd says that curl and my tool load the same libs, except that my tool loads four extra libs. Here's a table that compares the output of ldd for both curl and my tool:

  http://sellmycalls.com/lib-comp.html

Could you take a quick look at that? I'd appreciate it.

> > My ISP support assures me that nothing on the server
> has changed.
>
> You have reasons to question their words here. The bug
> could either be due to a date-depdendent problem in libcurl
> which no other person in the world has suffered from, seen
> or fixed. Or it could be something in your ISP's environment
> that changed. I know what I'd put my money on...

Heh! Yes, but I have to prove it.

> > The problem: On my ISP, when my app asks libcurl to
> connect to a remote host, libcurl immediately complains
> >
> >  * Unsupported protocol: https
> > Same thing happens with http.
>
> That means your application uses a libcurl that was built
> without support for HTTPS.

Hmm. Well, curl was built with the same version of libcurl as my tool, and here's what curl-config has to say about curl:

calls/cgi/client>curl-config --feature | grep SSL
SSL
calls/cgi/client>curl-config --protocols
HTTP
HTTPS
FTP
FTPS
FILE
TELNET
LDAP
DICT
TFTP
calls/cgi/client>

So I tend to believe that libcurl was built /with/ https.

> My advice: build your own libcurl and put it in your own
> homedir on the ISP site and use that lib instead.

Excellent advice! I'd like nothing better, except that it's a daunting, frustrating, week-long task for this RPM un-savant. I first have to find out what RPM /is/ -- yes, it's that bad.

> Use strace to figure what is loaded. Use ldd to check
> what's linked/used. Use gdb to see what happens in your
> code.

I am comparing strace outputs now.

Thank you, Daniel.

-- Pete