Re: Hosting in various countries

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:31:00 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010, Yang Tse wrote:

>> A, B and C can sync up with the ME branch at any time and thus A B and C
>> all get each other's changes once they've been deemed to go public.
>
> I suppose that I was expecting to much.

I'm not so sure about that. I'm quite sure you could accomplish what you asked
for, but that's not a typical setup and I wouldn't want to use something like
that for our development.

> 'two-phase commit'

There will always be risks of collisions and thus manual edits needed for
merging, so you want it to be controlled.

> Even CVS is distributed. You setup a CVS repo and commit all you want. I can
> setup another CVS repo with all the contents of yours. I work on mine all I
> want, and when the moment arrives to place my changes on yours I can do it.

The DVCSs are much more distributed than so. With CVS you cannot suddenly just
start hosing the repo yourself with your checkout nor can you even commit
locally or even do diffs. For example.