Re: curl-commits mailing list usefulness, and some git rambling

From: Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:17:58 +0200

Hi

On 25 March 2010 10:09, Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With old CVS the curl-commits mailing served a couple of purposes, it
> was easy to view which changes were taking place in the repo, and it
> was very easy to 'replay' lost commits that had taken place between
> server backup and server crash.

While I agree that diffs in commit e-mails are preferable to not
having them, the "lost commits" issue between backup and crash is less
of an issue with git as long as many people are pulling from the
official repository. This is because with git the clones have the
full history unlike CVS checkouts. So to get the official repository
back up, Daniel would just have to push from his local development
machine or from the repository at haxx.se again, or if those are
broken or out of date too, then you or Gunter or someone else would
likely have the whole thing or most of it. Or if not you then some of
the autobuilders.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot_at_gmail.com>