Re: LDAP support

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 00:09:00 +0200

Hi,
Am 07.05.2010 22:56, schrieb Daniel Stenberg:
> On Fri, 7 May 2010, Howard Chu wrote:
>
>> Looking at the code, it appears that libcurl always connects to the
>> target server before dropping into any URL handler code. And this LDAP
>> module totally ignores that, and does its own ldap_init which creates
>> another connection. So every use of LDAP creates a redundant socket /
>> connection. Am I right?
>
> You're the LDAP guy here, you tell us! ;-) I don't know anything about
> OpenLDAP really, but the man page for ldap_init() says "does not open a
> connection to the LDAP server." and that it "will occur when the first
> operation is attempted.".
>
> But I don't know which function that "the first operation" refers to in
> our case.
>
>> I wonder if the NOVELL_LDAPSDK support is worthwhile any more. Novell
>> has been shipping a repackaged OpenLDAP client library for several
>> years now.
>
> Guenter might have a clue. You reading this? Any word on NOVELL_LDAPSDK?
Novell provides an addon package to OpenLDAP for a wide range of
platforms, and this package enhances/simplifies the LDAPS support a lot.
Also this package is free/OpenSource as the Novell LDAP SDK too, so you
can take it on nearly every platform. However for NetWare OS the Novell
LDAP SDK is the only available LDAP client, and thus dropping it would
be bad since it would kill LDAP support at all for NetWare. Also for
Win32 I use this LDAP SDK too since what M$ ships is too hard to handle
for LDAPS.

Gün.