Re: Autobuilds and testcurl.pl on Windows

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 01:27:37 +0200

Am 19.08.2010 21:03, schrieb Adam Light:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to get an autobuild of curl set up on my Windows 7 x64
> machine using the Visual Studio compiler since looking at
> <http://curl.haxx.se/auto/> it doesn't look like this configuration
> has an autobuild at the moment.
yeah, great!!! Someone on MSVC who loves libcurl!

> I am following the instructions at
> <http://curl.haxx.se/auto/howto.html> but I've run into some problems.
> Mostly the problems are easily solved and due to the fact that the
> windows shell is a poor substitute for a shell and getting git, nmake,
> and the various other shell commands that need to be used to all work
> properly, including getting all the environment variables set up
> right, takes some effort.
>
> But from what I can tell testcurl.pl has a bug in it that prevents it
> from working correctly on Windows.
>
> From the windows shell, I did:
> mkdir curlbuild
> cd curlbuild
> git clone git://github.com/bagder/curl.git
> ./curl/tests/testcurl.pl
>
> testcurl.pl started to run and then after printing out a bunch of
> stuff, the following printed:
> testcurl: display lib/curl_config-win32.h
>
> lib/curl_config-win32.h: No such file or directory at ....testcurl.pl
> line 571. (.... represents the full path to the file)
>
> Line 571 is doing open(F, "lib/curl_config$confsuffix.h"). Since
> $confsuffix is always empty except when Windows is the target, and
> since curl_config.h exists, this works on all platforms but windows.
> But since curl_config-win32.h does not exist (the file is named
> config-win32.h) this fails on Windows.
yes, correct; my fault. Some longer time ago I did rename config.h to
curl_config.h, and left the heandtweaked configs out. We should rename
these too I guess ...
FTM a simple workaround is to just make a copy of config-win32.h to
curl_config-win32.h - this file does not change that often, and anyway
its only that testcurl.pl wants to display it which is also of no
further use since its anyway a static file coming from git - the display
is mainly to see those curl_config.h which are generated by configure.

> I then changed testcurl.pl as indicated in the attached patch (which
> I'm not actually suggesting is the best solution to the problem) and
> again executed:
> ./curl/tests/testcurl.pl
>
> This time curl was built successfully.
>
> I could just use a locally patched version of testcurl.pl, but unless
> I'm missing something it seems like this is a genuine bug in the
> script that should be fixed.
correct; I take a look soon, probably this weekend -- it has biten me
too already, and I'm using a patched version too :)

Gün.