Configure $as_echo does not work on OpenVMS bash.

From: John E. Malmberg <wb8tyw_at_qsl.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 07:00:13 -0600

Sometime during the 7.19 release, configure was changed to use a macro
$as_echo that used a shell to do an eval instead of echo for writing out
status.

This was not good for the VMS port of Bash running Configure.

The first problem is that using the echo shell built-in is at least 10 x
or more faster than the new method.

But the bigger problem is a bug somewhere where there is a resource leak
somewhere with the creation of child processes from VMS/Bash, and the
additional child process creations caused by the new $as_echo method use
up the quota before the configure run can complete its run.

I have tried everything I can think of to find where the resource leak
is in the VMS port of Bash, but with no success.

If I revert to the older configure, everything runs to completion.

Would it be possible to get a change in the configure script to detect
and accommodate OpenVMS?

Regards,
-John