Re: DNS Lookups.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 14:14:54 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Keean Schupke wrote:

>> libcurl doesn't have any pluggable way for an application to do the host
>> name resolving. I wouldn't mind seeing such a way getting introduced, but I
>> think it'll take some careful condiderations and planning first as it would
>> then probably be wiser to allow a pluggable completely asynch resolver.
>
> Could we provide an alternative to c-ares? Whats the API like?

The idea would be that a pluggable asynch resolver could then be used instead
of c-ares, yes.

The API would be decided during the "careful condiderations and planning"
phase, but if you check the attached asyn.h header file you can have a look at
the internal API I'm trying to get us converted over to.

Once we have a consistent internal API for asynch resolves, it should be easy
to allow an application to provide its custom set of these functions to be
used instead.

If we go down that road, the external API will of course not look exactly like
this header, but probably not too far off from this.