RE: Performance issue with libcurl library for SFTP upload

From: Srikanth Ramaprasad08 <Srikanth_R08_at_infosys.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:39:45 +0530

Hi Gary/Daniel

Que: what's the RTT (ping time) from the client to the server?

Ans: I tried pinging the server and got a "Request timed out" message. I was not able to connect through the browser also since it is a SFTP connection. The browser gives a message saying it cannot get the following URL and that it needs a specific software for handling SFTP connection (In my case this was WinSCP).

Please let me know if there is any other way I can find out the ping time for a SFTP connection.

Que: Have you analyzed the network packets to determine the duration of each phase of the transaction? Where is the time being spent?.

We have analyzed the time taken for upload into a server without SFTP and the time taken is a little less.

Que: What libcurl version are you using? Did you build it yourself?

      What SSL library are you using? What version?

Ans: curl-7.21.6. Yeah I built libcurl by downloading/building the following:

ActivePerl-5.12.3 Build 1204 ,

libssh2-1.2.8,

nasm-2.09.08 and

openssl-1.0.0d

Que : How does the performance of your application compare to

      the same SFTP transaction using a different client?

Ans : I have tried with WinSCP and comparison of time between libcurl and WinSCP is as below

      LibCurl WinSCP

Size Time taken Size Time taken

2 MB 8 seconds 2 MB 1 seconds

5 MB 19 seconds 5 MB 2 seconds

15 MB 50 seconds 15 MB 7 seconds

22.5 MB 90 seconds 22.5 MB 20 seconds

43.7 MB 3 minutes 50 MB 55 seconds

65 MB 4.5 minutes 65 MB 2 minutes

90 MB 6 minutes 90 MB 3.5 minutes

141 MB 11 minutes 145 MB 5 minutes

194 MB 14 minutes 194 MB 7 minutes

250 MB 20 minutes 247 MB 9 minutes

500 MB 36 minutes 500 MB 15 minutes

I am following "Using-libcurl-with-SSH-support-in-Visual-Studio-2008.pdf" by Andrei Jakab (andrei.jakab_at_tut.fi<mailto:andrei.jakab_at_tut.fi>).

I also had a doubt whether we need to install (compile) the libcurl library in the front end machines as well, or do we have a run-time library that we can obtain ?

I really appreciate any responses for the same.

Regards,

Srikanth