Support for long-haul high-bandwidth links

From: Andrew Daviel <advax_at_triumf.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 18:29:29 -0800 (PST)

When transferring a large file over a high-latency (e.g. long physical
distance) high-bandwidth link, the transfer time is dominated by the round-trip
time for TCP handshakes.

In the past tools such as bbftp have mitigated this effect by using multiple
streams, but required both a special server and client.

Using the "range" header in HTTP/1.1, it is possible to start multiple
simultaneous requests for different portions of a file using a standard Apache
WebDAV server, and achieve a significant speedup for both GET and PUT. I have a
proof-of-principle Perl script using threads which was able to download a
medium-sized file from Europe to Vancouver in half the normal time. I
also tested uploads wit hPUT, but only over a short distance.

I wondered if this was of interest as an enhancement for Curl.

regards

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada