Re. Linkedin requests

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 14:09:30 +0100

Dear all,

I have received several Linkedin invitations from people on this list
and from elsewhere, often Linux or Open Source community related.
I apologize for not responding to those, there's a reason and I'll try
to explain it below.

 I don't really use Linkedin as such, I use my account there only as a
silly little experiment. I never log in there except to accept certain
invitations, and then I log out - I don't use their services for
anything whatsoever, I haven't added anything to 'my' page except the
company I work for.
The experiment is that I accept all invitations from every person I
have personally met in the space industry (that's where I work), and
nobody else. Then (which is the only times I log in there) I see how
many new contacts I have in the 'extended network'.
So, I only look at those numbers, to see how they increase by adding
just one new contact (from the limited requirement that I have met
them, and they work in the space industry and I have met them in that
role). So, from that limited set of people in my personal list there's
now this huge number.

And that's all there is to it - I hope I haven't offended anyone by
not accepting their connection requests, but as you can see there's
not much point in connecting to me there anyway - I'm not into social
networking (I've blocked facebook so that it's not slowing down
example).

-Tor