Re: Building curl, modifying the cc/gcc line in the Makefile

From: Jeff Pohlmeyer <yetanothergeek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 14:35:53 -0500

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Robert B. Harris wrote:

> I'm trying to use a program that runs during the build of curl.  It watches
> each gcc activity during the build process, and does something cool.
> I can normally do this with other software by modifying the gcc/cc line in
> the Makefile. In other words, I set "CC=somethingspecial -g one gcc"
> What modifications can I make so the build proccess will also run my
> "somethingspecial" program each time the gcc program is called?

You shouldn't need to manually modify the Makefile at all,
if you run the configure script like this:

CC="somethingspecial -g one gcc" ./configure <your-config-options>

You might want to check out the way "ccache" handles this -
it is another program that runs in place of the compiler
and "does something cool" when it invokes gcc:

  http://ccache.samba.org/manual.html#_run_modes

 - Jeff