Re: Question about some platform updates to Windows

From: Myria <myriachan_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 13:32:16 -0700

> From: Daniel Stenberg
>> On Thu, 24 Oct 2013, Myria wrote:
>
>> I'm just thinking of the ways the Windows support could be modernized.
>> =^-^=

>> I'd like to fix up the curl library to support building curl/libcurl for
>
> Just keep in mind that there are multiple windows (build) environments and
> that we keep support for oldish Windows versions as well.

I saw the #ifdef maze in config-win32.h and had no intention of breaking
anything that was supported there. However, I was worried somewhat because
it looked like there were multiple ways to target Windows - CMake looked
like it used some other mechanism than config-win32.h, for example.

What's the difference between the lib\Makefile.vc10 and
winbuild\Makefile.vc10?

What would you recommend regarding the gmtime_r versus gmtime_s issue?
Under Visual Studio, gmtime_s can be used to implement gmtime_r, but not,
say, MinGW unless you're on Windows Vista or later due to the msvcrt.dll
version. Should I just implement gmtime_r in Windows myself, using Win32's
FileTimeToSystemTime and a bit of arithmetic? This would work on all
compilers.

Melissa