Re: Curl 7.38 gets stuck in SSL Handshake with Proxies

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 16:09:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014, Alibek Joraev wrote:

> I can confirm that this revision fixes this issue.
> git checkout d242839af8511b389f0edd6519bdae6cd860e8a9

> what is the next now? are you planning (and when) to release new patch or
> version for Curl?

Hold your horses. You have just identified a point in time at which your
program could run without problems. We have not even attempted to make a fix
for this that could be merged.

As you can see in the commit message in the commit that breaks the
functionality for you, that commit was a partial revert of a previous change I
did to that code. It thus has an established history of being fragile. Let's
tread gently.

The short history of this:

cb3e6dfa3511 - I commited a change to Curl_proxyCONNECT to make test 1021 work
with valgrind.

a4cece3d47cf - I modified the previous change since it was pointed out to be
that the previous fix caused a serious and notable performance regression. The
fix was confirmed to fix the regression and test 1021 still worked.

Today - there's apparently a bug in the code that makes it fail for a still
not very detailed use case but it involves auth with the proxy, CONNECT and
then SSL over that. It'd be great if we could get a small sample program that
can repeat the problem, but I realize it may be tricky.

Reverting a4cece3d47cf will only bring back the performance regression. I
would instead like us to find what the actual problem is with the current code
and work on improving it instead.

We're planning the next release to happen November 5. It would be great to
have a fix done by then.