Re: WAP?

From: Georg Horn <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 09:46:06 +0200

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> > are there any plans to include support for the WAP Protocol into curl?
> And with the words "the WAP Protocol" you refer to specifically what WAP
> protocol?
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the WAP protocol suite made for cellular
> terminals, and don't they use HTTP to fetch contents from the Internet?

Yes, it's made for cellular phones, but the phone doesn't directly talk
http to a web server, but talks wap to a wap server (or gateway) which either
produces the content itself or translates the request into http, sends it to a
web server, and gives the answer back to the phone. I don't know why the hell
they invented just another protocol... ;-) Well, at least the data between
gateway and phone is transfered as a binary, compacter bytecode
than the verbose http-protocol.