curl-users

Re: Install problem

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 00:35:26 -0800

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 09:20:49AM +0100, Benjamin Endré Larsen wrote:
> I am a total newbie to curl, but got a recommendation to use it for some
> automated web-based searches.
>
> I am installing under cygwin, with which I also have no experience.
>
> When trying to initialize installation as described in the curl
> documentation package, I type
>
> ./configure

This is more than just to start installation, this is to compile curl from
the source code.

> while the Cygwin bash shell prompt is in the curl directory. It does some
> checks but halts on the following error:
>
> checking for ar... no
> configure: error: ar not found in PATH. Cannot continue without ar.
>
> I have tried googling for these phrases, but I haven't found any answers
> to my questions. Help would be greatly appreciated!

You're missing a C development environment. Chances are, this is not the
way you want to install curl. It's usually much easier to install a
precompiled binary package. Cygwin includes a package management application
that should make this an easy process, but I'm not familiar with it myself.
You could also go to the curl download page and download the Cygwin binary
package yourself and install it manually.

>>> Dan